Matthew was called to the Manitoba Bar in 2005 and the Alberta Bar in 2006. He maintains a commercial practice which includes advising on business transactions, securities and corporate finance related matters.
Matthew has extensive experience in acting for borrowers and private lenders, including mortgage investment corporations (MICs) and syndicated mortgage entities. His involvement with the private lending industry includes advising on a wide range of matters, from providing specialized assistance with initial incorporations and organizations of MICs to assisting clients with private placement offerings, specifically the preparation of offering memoranda and subscription agreements. He also assists private lending clients with securities registration issues as they relate to fundraising activities in the private capital market. Additionally, over the last 10 years Matthew has acted as lenders’ counsel in a large number of asset-based and real estate-based secured lending transactions on behalf of MICs, mortgage syndicators and other private lenders.
Matthew’s practice also includes acting for businesses and individuals involved in digital currency. He assists Canadian clients with regulatory and compliance advice in blockchain and digital currency projects, corporate law, securities advice and banking assistance, that is tailored to start-up ventures in Canada’s burgeoning digital currency community.
Matthew has been involved in virtual currency law since 2013 and has published various articles on the topic of one of the most prolific virtual currency news websites in the world, coindesk.com.
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Private Capital Markets Association (PCMA)
- Member, PCMA, Private Lending Committe
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Vice President, Calgary Crime Stoppers Association
- Former Board Member, Oxford House Foundation of Canada
- Former Board Member, Bishop O’Byrne Housing For Seniors Association
- Quoted in an article in Canadian Lawyer magazine, 'Cryptocurrency!', commenting on the unique challenges facing Canadian financial institutions, June 2, 2014