Darren has over 20 years of experience in a wide range of commercial transactions focusing primarily on public and private corporate financing, securities and business transactions. He has developed specific expertise in the mining sector and also represents issuers in the oil and gas, technology and industrial sectors.
Darren represents a number of large and small private companies in reorganizations, share and asset sales, shareholder agreements and other private company transactions. Darren has also worked on a number of significant merger and acquisition transactions.
Darren routinely acts as counsel to both public issuers and corporate finance groups or institutions on initial public offerings, equity and debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, Canadian stock exchange listings and regulatory compliance, including corporate governance, continuous disclosure, and stock exchange regulations.
- Counsel to Eagle Plains Resources Ltd. in its plan of arrangement forming Copper Canyon Resources Ltd.
- Counsel to Gold-Ore Resources Ltd. in its acquisition of the Bjorkdal gold mine and assets from Minmet PLC
- Counsel to Eagle Plains Resources Ltd. in its joint venture and eventual acquisition of the Yellowjacket gold mine and assets from Prize Mining Corporation
- Counsel to Copper Canyon Resources Ltd. in its $65 million take-over by NovaGold Resources Ltd. and the formation of Omineca Mining and Metals Ltd.
- Counsel to Eagle Plains Resources Ltd. in its $20 million plan of arrangement forming Yellowjacket Resources Ltd.
- Counsel to Gold-Ore Resources Ltd. in its $155 million merger with Elgin Mining Inc.
- Moderator, Equity Crowdfunding Conference (ECFA), 'Regulatory Essentials - A Local, National and International Perspective on Existing and Proposed Prospectus Exemptions in Support of Equity Crowdfunding', May 2014
- Special Lecturer for Law Day at Ambrose University College
- Sessional Lecturer on Business Organizations at Momentum (Community Economic Development), 2000 – 2005
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Securities and Business Law Sections
- Member, Calgary Mineral Exploration Group
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Member, Initial Public Offering Group
- Member, Calgary Entrepreneurs and Small Business Group
- Member, Calgary Chamber
- Board Member, Scarboro Community Association
- Board Member, Panorama Subdivision Owners Association
- Board member, Calgary Snowboard Club
- Member, Alberta Snowboard Association
- Member and Coach, Scarboro Soccer Association
- Volunteer at alumni associations and numerous charity fundraising events