Roy is Head of the Wills & Estates group at the firm. With over 20 years of wealth management and protection experience, Roy’s advises clients in wills, estates and succession planning with a focus on international, U.S./cross-border planning and trust creation and compliance. He advises high net worth individuals, their families, family offices and related businesses.
Roy was in-house legal counsel to major Canadian and international financial institutions, including 10 years in Bermuda and Switzerland.
Roy is a long-standing member of the Society of Estate and Trust Practitioners (STEP – UK).
He is fluent in both French and German and as of 2014, was appointed as Honorary Consul for France in Calgary by Phillipe Zeller, France Ambassador to Canada.
- “International Estate Planning Handbook” of DFK, a national association of independent accounting firms, co-author of the Canadian section, 2015
- "Planning for the Aging Client", Legal Education Society of Alberta, Edmonton & Calgary, May 2012
- "Asset and Wealth Protection” STEP Calgary March 2012
- "Doing Business in France”, Calgary Economic Development, November 2011
- “Elizabeth’s Legacy: The short (and painful) history of the Rule against Perpetuities”, CBA Alberta (South) Wills and Trusts, June 2017
- Trust Drafting Tips & Traps - Including the Impact of US Family Members, STEP Calgary, November 2013
- "Estate Planning for the Blended Family", Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA), 48th Annual Refresher Course, April 19-21, 2015
- Various Breakfast Club, Financial Institution Presentations to Staff
- Quoted in “Baby Boom: Family Complications”, The Financial Advisors Association of Canada, Forum, October 2015
- Interviewed on "The three biggest hurdles to overcome in financial planning", Financial Post, April 27, 2015
Professional Associations & Activities
- Honorary Consul for France in Calgary, French Consul, 2014 - present
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association Wills & Trusts Law Section (Southern Alberta Branch)
- Member of the Trust Institute Canada (Institute of Canadian Bankers), 2001
- Member of the Society of Estates and Trusts Practitioners, 2001
- Member, Calgary Accueil (French Expat Business Club)
- Former Director, Swiss Canadian Chamber of Commerce