Layne Thiessen is an associate in our Wills & Estates Group. His practice focuses on estate litigation, where he assists clients in matters involving disputes over wills, estates, adding or removing executors, dependent relief claims, and other issues.
Layne has successfully represented clients before all levels of court in Alberta. He has considerable experience litigating, negotiating, and resolving disputes for clients, including through mediation and arbitration.
Layne practiced litigation at two large international law firms before joining McLeod Law, allowing him to focus entirely on Alberta and the local Calgary marketplace.
- Co-author, “Watch Your Choice of Law Clause: the World Bank Annuls a US$1.4 Billion Damages Award,” Lexology, March 22, 2017
- Co-author, “Ontario Court Dismisses Application to Set Aside Award, then Punishes Applicant with Indemnity Costs for ‘Baseless’ Challenge to Arbitrator’s Impartiality”, Mondaq, February 2, 2017
- Co-author, “High Court of Justice Maintains Freezing Order Tied to GAFTA Arbitration Award Indefinitely”, Financier Worldwide Magazine - Special Report: International Dispute Resolution, October 2016
- Co-author, “Recent Regulatory and Legislative Developments of Interest to Energy Lawyers (2013)”, Alberta Law Review, Energy Law Edition, Volume 51, No. 2, at pp. 427-469, December 2013
- Co-author, “The Doctrine of Estoppel by Convention in Canada”, in T.L. Archibald & R.S. Echlin, eds., Annual Review of Civil Litigation 2011, at pp. 139-187, Toronto: Carswell, 2011
- Co-author, “Bill 34: Building New Petroleum Markets Act - Passes First Reading at the Alberta Legislature,” BLG Oil & Gas Alert, November 2013, cited by Julius Melnitzer in the National Post: Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission Gets Broad New Powers, November 18, 2013
Events & Speaking Engagements:
- Co-presenter, “Recent Regulatory and Legislative Developments of Interest to Energy Lawyers”, Canadian Energy Law Foundation 52nd Annual Jasper Research Seminar, 2013
Professional Associations & Activities:
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Wills & Trusts (South) Section
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Volunteer, Amicus Project, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench
- Volunteer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel program, Provincial Court of Alberta