With over 35 years of experience and expertise as litigation legal counsel, Jeff assists clients in resolving disputes involving trusts and estates, securities, corporate and commercial matters, directors and shareholders, and insolvency and restructuring.
Jeff has successfully represented clients across a range of litigation matters, at all levels of courts in Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba, as well as the Federal Court and Supreme Court of Canada. In fact, Jeff was admitted to the Manitoba Bar to argue two inter-provincial cases, one involving the bankruptcy of a large real estate holding company and another for the inter-provincial licensing of a health services corporation. Jeff was also admitted to the Ontario Bar to represent a financial institution in the Olympia and York restructuring.
In addition to Jeff’s extensive experience in representing clients in court, Jeff has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution (ADR). He has acted as counsel in numerous arbitrations and mediations, and has appeared many times before administrative tribunals, including the Alberta Securities Commission and Ontario Securities Commission.
Jeff has represented debtors and secured and unsecured creditors in insolvency and restructuring proceedings at all levels of courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Re Fauth, 2017, ABASC 3 - CanLII reported decision
- Represented two creditors in Enron Canada Corp. v. Campbell’s Industrial Supply Ltd., National-Oilwell Canada Ltd., in the Alberta Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal. Leave to appeal was successfully dismissed by the Supreme Court of Canada, 2001.
- Represented various creditors in the CCAA proceedings regarding Blue Range Resources Corporation, in the Alberta Queen’s Bench.
- Defended many individuals and corporations in Alberta Securities Commission hearings and settlement agreements, and in MFDA, IDA, and IIROC matters.
- Had many trial decisions in the Supreme Court and Provincial Court of British Columbia, involving varied litigation matters.
- “Expanding Liability Horizons, Civil Liability for Secondary Market Disclosure,” Corporate Liability, Federated Press, Vol. XII, No. 2, 2007
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy, Advocates’ Society, 2012-present
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy, University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 1982-1991
- Sessional Instructor, Insurance Law, University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 1991
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, ‘Ensuring Legal and Ethical Conduct by the Corporation and the Board’, Federated Press 15th Course: Reinventing the Corporate Secretary, October 14-15, 2014
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law and Business Law subsections
- Current member and past executive member and chairman, Canadian Bar Association, Insurance Law Southern subsection
- Member, Legislative Review Committee, Canadian Bar Association, 2009 - present
- Participant, Canadian Bar Association, Mentor program
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Advocates’ Society
- Member, Alberta Advisory Committee to the Advocates' Society
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Chartered Mediator, ADR Institute of Canada, 2001 - 2011
- Director, Garrison Square Condominium Association, 2002 - 2012
- Awarded his Queen’s Counsel designation from the Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, 2002
- Quoted in the Calgary Herald on the legal system feeling the pressure of aid funding shortfalls, 2014