Mr. Cooper is a partner of McLeod Law, former head of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group, and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Brent’s practice is primarily focused on business M&A transaction-advice, and litigating/resolving corporate and commercial disputes; shareholder/partnership disputes, and employment law related matters.
He has many years of experience acting on behalf businesses of all sizes, in a wide variety of industry sectors. He has advised or litigated for entrepreneurs; accountants, lawyers & other professionals; ranchers; O&G producers, parts manufacturers & service providers; agri-pharmaceutical suppliers; food packagers; school divisions; police departments; and municipal governments.
Brent has appeared in court in all four Western Canadian provinces, and in numerous arbitrations including hostile shareholder-takeovers. He often teaches or gives seminars, and attends conferences across Canada.
An experienced Board member, Mr. Cooper was elected to the Board of Directors of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce in 2015, and sits on its Governance & HR Committee. Brent is one of the two partners responsible for the firm’s relationship with TAGLaw, a global alliance of independent law firms providing a full range of legal services to clients all over the world.
An avid supporter of local arts and culture, Brent is a recent member of the Board of Directors of Calgary Opera.
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, The Calgary Chamber
- Board of Directors, The Calgary Chamber
- Board of Directors, The Calgary Opera
- Board Member, Cantare Children’s Choir
- Former VP, Spiritus Band Association
- Former President, Ecole St. Cecilia Charitable Society
- "Keep the Holiday Cheer and Avoid the Liability: Hosting a Holiday Party for Employees", AMICCUS-C Western Regional Conference, November 4, 2015
- "Changeovers and the Impact of Business Structure on Labour and Employment Relations", Insight Information's 10th Western Canada Employment and Labour Relations Forum, October 27-28, 2014